I stumbledupon this:
A random article about words that don't exist in the English language.
Words like...
L’esprit de escalier: (French) The feeling you get after leaving a conversation, when you think of all the things you should have said. Translated it means “the spirit of the staircase.”
To be honest I have no idea how accurate it is. And it seems like more of a saying than a word. But...I get that feeling all the time. It takes effect immediately. It is kind of like the words that would have been perfect in the moment come rushing into your mind as soon as the moment is gone. And then. There I am. In the shower, the next day, playing the entire scene over and over and over again until I get it right. Not that it makes me feel better, in fact, it makes me feel worse. But in my head, I feel okay knowing I at least could have come up with something better.
i love other languages. especially french.
ReplyDeleteOh I am so glad I found your blog! I already absolutely adore it!
ReplyDeleteI get this same feeling all the time, and I spend hours after I come up with the right thing beating myself up for not coming up with it sooner! So glad you understand the feeling, and that their is actually a phrase for it!