7.27.2012

a full minute.

When it's bright outside and you're walking some place you've walked 1,027 times before do you ever close your eyes? You know, as you take those steps that are as familiar as the smell of grass. Or a cold glass of milk. Or any other small comfort that maybe you never thought of before. Sometimes I do it. Close my eyes as I walk. To feel the warmth on my eyelids from that strong sun of ours. And what can sometimes feel like the unsuspecting best part is when I open my eyes again. Everything, the whole world even, is brighter than it was before. And when that happens, that extra brightness, I smile to myself and feel less silly for having closed my eyes in the first place. Because I realize, in that moment, that small bit of darkness is all I really needed. It is all I really needed to brighten my world a little more. If only for a slight second.

And if you were to add up all the slight seconds. Maybe someday, if I keep closing my eyes sometimes while I walk on those bright days, I'll have a full minute of extra brightness. Imagine what I can do with that. A full minute of extra brightness? Something amazing, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment